Milford Advocacy for the Homeless
Martha Gery is the founder and currently serves as the president of the Milford Advocacy for the Homeless, a Milford Delaware city-based 501 (C)3, not-for-profit organization.
About the founder – A transplant from Pennsylvania, Martha attended college after raising her children and obtained her MBA in Project Management.
Martha is married to husband Keith and works full-time as program manager having responsibilities for technical programs. Martha’s passion for the homeless stems from a personal experience with a family member who had addiction problems and was homeless for approximately 15 years. That experience lit a flame and Martha’s heart to advocate for the homeless with the goal that they would receive support and assistance without enabling them.
As president of the organization Martha, along with the governing board of directors have established ambitious goals for the corporation which would involve the following development:
– A transitional shelter with on and off-site support services
– A community room where those without shelter would be able to warm up or cool down and meals would be served throughout the day.
– A clothing closet and food pantry where those in need would be able to shop with dignity at no cost.
– A place for those living out of their vehicles could park without concern of being disturbed as they sleep through the night.
– A bus to provide transportation to events, code purple, and other support Services.
Today, MAH is growing exponentially, – from nothing more than a vision and a zero operating budget with a few friends volunteering, and no building serving four or five people in 2021 – to a community of 1000+ people providing tents, sleeping bags, tarps, bikes and feeding 2000+ meals a month.